Match Reports - season 2001/2002

12/May/02 (Cup)
Newtown Rangers 3:2 Terenure College (aet)

Terenure bowed out of the cup in the most unluckiest of fashions, despite a spirited performance against an excellent Newtown side. It was the third meeting this season between the two Div2 heavyweights, and each game has been a hard fought encounter, with Newtown emerging victorious on each occasion. However, College had done their homework this time, and stuck to their game plan well. The midfield partnership of Ger Breen and Declan Brady had their work cut out dealing with the three man midfield of the home side, but they dealt admirably, and Newtown were reduced to hitting long balls for much of the first half. The College back four coped well with the direct style, but on the one occasion they allowed Newtown to sneak around the back, they were punished. After 30 minutes, the Rangers winger managed to swing a low cross over from the left that eluded all but his team mate at the back post. His mis-hit shot still sneaked into the net to give Newtown the lead.
The second half saw Terenure take the game to Newtown. Man of the match Kieran Murray and Niall McCabe were causing Rangers trouble down each flank, and Rafter and Lombard were a constant threat up front. After 55 minutes, Rafter was crudely tackled in the area, and while the home defence hesitated awaiting the referees decision, Kieran Murray stole in to equalize.
Terenure definitely had the upper hand at this stage, and Lombard went close a few moments later. However Newtown did not give up, and after 60 minutes they won a penalty, when Hanlons clumsy attempted clearance up-ended the Rangers striker, who converted the penalty himself.
Terenure threw everything forward and went close through Rafter and Murray, before the equalizer arrived. Murrays low cross from the left was attacked by Rafter, his marker and the Rangers keeper. The ball somehow evaded all three, and Lombard, who has made a habit of scoring in the important games, was on hand to pop the ball into the empty net. O'Frighial almost sealed it shortly afterwards, but only a point blank save from the Newtown keeper kept them in the game. Newtown went close on the stroke of full time, when the linesman adjudged the Rangers striker to be offside as he struck the ball into the net. However after 90 minutes, the score was 2-2 and extra time loomed.
Newtown started the extra time brightly, winning a corner after an enormous goal kick wasn't dealt with effectively. The resulting corner swung wickedly over keeper Leckeys head and into the net, for the golden goal.
A cruel ending to an excellent cup match that either team could have won. Terenure can consider themselves unlucky after a brave battling performance that would have been more than enough to beat most other teams.

TCAFC: Leckey, Flood, Hanlon, Brady, O'Grady, O'Frighial, McCabe (Warren 65), Breen (O'Dwyer 60), Lombard (O'Loughlin 70), Rafter, Murray. Subs: Kevin Brady, Warren, O'Loughlin, O'Dwyer.

7/May/02 (LSL Div 2)
Terenure College 6:1 Meath Rangers

Terenure finished off the league campaign in some style, disposing of a well organised, but lacklustre Meath Rangers side. In truth, the away side started brightly, and made all the running in the first 15 minutes. They deservedly took the lead after 10 minutes, when Terenure failed to clear the ball down the right. The ball eventually found it's way to the Rangers striker who converted from close range. The goal sparked Terenure into life, and Kieran Murray and Bull McCabe were becoming more involved down the flanks. From a corner won by McCabe, Ger Breen equalised with a bullet header. Rafter gave Terenure the lead before half time, and the striker was unlucky not to have netted a hat trick by the break.
The second half was all Terenure. O'Loughlin and Breen were running the midfield and some excellent flowing moves ensued. McCabe made it three on the hour with yet another spectacular goal. The Rangers keeper punched clear a Lombard cross, but McCabe met the ball first time on the volley, and buried it from 25 yards. Rafter got his second a couple of moments later when he met McCabes perfect cross with a cushioned header that wrong footed the keeper. Rafters hat-trick followed after 75 minutes. O'Loughlins powerful run and interchange of passes with Lombard left him free on the edge of the area.His pass found Rafter in the 6 yard box, and his sharp turn and shot left the keeper with no chance. Kevin Brady rounded off the scoring when he tapped in a corner from close range.
A good performance from College who now go on to face Newtown in the cup semis on Sunday.

TCAFC: Leckey, Flood, Hanlon, O'Frighial (Warren 55), O'Grady, O'Loughlin (Frehill 70), McCabe, Breen (K.Brady 75), Lombard, Rafter, Murray. Subs: Warren, Frehill, K.Brady, Cullen

28/Apr/02 (LSL Div 2)
Terenure College 1:2 Newtown Rangers

Terenures long unbeaten home record slipped out of their grasp despite a brave performance from a resilient College side. Without McCabe, O'Frighial, Bishop, Stanley and O'Dwyer, this was always going to be a tough match, but College are not a team to shirk a fight, and took the game to Newtown from the off.
The first half was a cagey affair, with Terenure restricting a lively Newtown attack to long range efforts which rarely troubled Leckey in goal. The one time they did breach the home defence, the Newtown number 9 was denied by an excellent smothering save by the College netminder. As the game continued, Newtown were dominating the possession, and Terenure were struggling to string any passes together. Despite this, Terenure took the lead after 35 minutes. A Ger Breen free kick was headed across goal by Mark Hanlon, and Declan Brady was on hand to put it away from close range.
The second half saw Newtown throw everything at the College back four in an attempt to win the three points they needed to have any chance of winning the league. Terenure held out well, despite a few hair raising moments, including a headed effort that player-manager Phelim Warren did exceptionally well to clear off the line. Alec Leckey produced a number of good stops also, and it appeared as if Terenure were going to cling on. However, after 75 minutes, a right wing corner by Newtown wasn't cleared sufficiently, and the ball, somewhat fortuitously, found it's way into the goal after a goal line scramble. Newtown definitely had the upper hand at this stage, and a couple of moments before full time, snatched a winner. Their left winger picked up the ball on the edge of the College 18 yard box, and attempted a shot, which he miscued completely. The ricochet fell kindly for the same player to rifle home from 10 yards and kill off the game.

TCAFC: Leckey, Flood, Hanlon, D.Brady(K.Brady 60), O'Grady, O'Loughlin, Warren(Cullen 70), Breen, Lombard, Rafter, Murray.
A very dogged performance from Terenure, who will be confident going into Sunday weeks semi final against the same opposition that they can beat a very organised Newtown side.

28/Apr/02 (LSL Div 2)
Terenure College 5:2 Walkinstown

Terenure turned on the style during this ill tempered encounter to completely destroy a Walkinstown side that were totally inferior in every department. The strong breeze made conditions difficult for both teams, but College settled much faster and made all the early running. Time after time, full-backs McCabe and O'Grady combined with the outstanding duo of Brady and Bishop in midfield, to release Murray and O'Dwyer down the flanks, torturing their markers and frequently leaving them in their wake. Despite numerous chances College could not find the killer touch to put the ball in the net. Against the run of play, Walkinstown took the lead, when their centre midfielder took a wild swing at the ball, and the wind carried it 30 yards over the unlucky Al Leckey in the college goal. College didn't lose their composure and continued their pass and move policy. However, the away side doubled their lead shortly afterwards. A Murray cross was hacked clear out of their 18 yard box, the wind carried it into the College half where Hanlon misjudged the flight of the ball and mis-controlled his attempted clearance. The Walkinstown striker latched on to the ball and finished well past Leckey. It was to be Walkinstown last attempt on goal as Terenure went on to totally dominate the rest of the game. On 40 minutes, Murray skinned his marker yet again, and was cynically tripped in the box. Skipper Karl Bishop scored his third in three games from the spot. College should have had a second penalty when the Walkinstown keeper fouled O'Dwyer in the area, but the referee judged it to be a fair tackle. O'Dwyer had to leave the game at half time.
The second half saw more of the same. After Murray had won a corner on the left, Bishop and O'Grady worked a short corner into the 6 yard box where Rafter equalized. Not long afterwards, a wonderful sweeping move brought Terenures third. A quick one two left Bishop free in midfield, and his 30 yards through ball into McCabes path was perfectly weighted. McCabe took the ball in his stride and smashed an unstoppable drive from 30 yards off the crossbar and into the net for what has to be a goal of the season contender. McCabe was to play a part in the fourth Terenure goal also. Richie O'Loughlin and Richie Lombard combined neatly to release McCabe down the right, whose cross was inch perfect for Rafter to head home his second and Terenures fourth.
At this point the game turned nasty as Walkinstown resorted to fouling to break up Terenures fast attacking play. Midfield playmaker Karl Bishop was targeted first, as he received a set of studs on his right knee. The referee decided it was a fair tackle and let the incident go unpunished. Bishop was replaced by Breen in midfield. Five minutes later, McCabe was the recipient of a two footed tackle which ended his involvement in the game also. The referee saw nothing wrong with this tackle either. Terenure had used all their subs, and had to play the remainder of the game with ten men. Such was the quality of their football, Terenure still dominated despite the numerical disadvantage, and extended their lead further after 80 minutes. College passed their way out of defence, O'Loughlin finding Lombard, who fed Hanlon sprinting up the right wing. His through ball released Rafter one on one with the Walkinstown keeper, and the big striker simply doesn't miss from that situation. Rafter promptly completed his hat trick.
Overall, a five star performance from Terenure who will be hoping to carry this form into Tuesdays top of the table clash against Newtown Rangers. Fortunately, the injuries to Bishop and McCabe will have cleared in time for the cup semi final, although Fergal O'Dwyer and Mick Stanley are bigger worries, both with shoulder injuries.

TCAFC: Leckey, Flood, Hanlon, Brady, O'Grady (Warren 60), McCabe, O'Dwyer (O'Loughlin h-t), Bishop (Breen 75), Lombard, Rafter, Murray

26/Apr/02 (Cup)
St. Josephs 2:4 Terenure College

Terenure emerged victorious from this bruising cup quarter final thanks to a battling performance against a spirited Joeys team. College got off to the perfect start when Niall McCabe picked Ciarán Rafter out at the back post with a 40 yard cross, and the giant hitman out jumped keeper and defender to nod home from close range. Denis O'Frighial doubled the lead shortly afterwards with a calmly taken effort, after he picked up the rebound from a Rafter shot, sidestepped two defenders and sent the keeper the wrong way.
The goal seemed to rouse the home side into action and Joey's picked up the pace. They were awarded a penalty after an hour when Declan Brady felled the Joeys winger in the area. The penalty was converted, and the game started to heat up considerably. It was end to end football for the remaining 15 minutes of the first half, and tackles were flying from all angles. From a free kick 40 yards out, Terenure extended their lead a couple of minutes before the break. Bishops perfect free was glanced home by Rafter for his second of the game.
The second half was a much more open affair. Joeys attacked with a lot more purpose than they did in the first half, and had a couple of gilt edged opportunities to narrow the deficit, but failed to make the decisive contact at the crucial moment. After 65 minutes, Terenure got their fourth when Karl Bishops wickedly curling free kick eluded evrybody in the Joeys box, and sneaked into the top corner of the goal. The Terenure skippers second in two matches proved to be all important, as Joeys threw everything forward. The home side pulled one back five minutes later when a defensive mix up allowed the Joeys substitute an easy header into an unguarded net. Straight away, Joeys earned a penalty after a crazy tackle from Mark Hanlon in the area, when nothing seemed on for the attacking team. Alec Leckey produced save of the season to turn the ball wide, thus extending his remarkable record of penalty stops.
The remainder of the game was played out in typical cup match style, with ferocious tackles and heart stopping moments, including a thunderbolt effort from Kierán Murray which rattled the Joeys crossbar. Terenure go on to face Newtown Rangers in a tough semi final encounter on May 12th.

TCAFC: Leckey, Flood, Hanlon, Brady (O'Loughlin 80), O'Grady, O'Dwyer, McCabe, Bishop(c), O'Frighial, Rafter, Murray.
Subs: Warren, K.Brady, Frehill

21/Apr/02 (LSL - Div 2)
Terenure College 6:1 Aer Lingus

College showed no signs of rustiness after their prolonged break from competitive action by demolishing Aer Lingus with a five star performance. An almost full strength Terenure team started a little shakily, with Aer Lingus coming close in the 10th minute, but after captain Karl Bishops spectacular volley opened the scoring, there was only ever one team in it. A corner from the right was cleared only as far as the edge of the area, where Bishop promptly smashed it first time into the bottom corner. Rafter doubled the lead soon afterwards with a looping header from another corner. Terenures third goal came after a Dave Flood corner curled wickedly towards the front post, where the keeper, under pressure from Declan Brady and Denis O'Frighial, could only deflect the ball into his own net.
The second half brought more of the same, with two more Rafter goals before the hour. Aer Lingus pulled a consolation goal back when their big centre foward broke free on their left, carried the ball the remaining 40 yards and drilled a strike low under the onrushing Leckey.
Terenure were playing some mesmerising football at times, and it was from one of these flowing manouvres that they finished off the scoring. Hanlon intercepted the ball and fed Bishop on the half way line. His pass found McCabe on the right wing, who exchanged passes with Stanley, and crossed the ball for substitute striker Lombard to hit a powerful shot. His effort was saved brilliantly by the away teams keeper, but the rebound fell to the rampaging Gar O'Grady, who sold a defender a dummy, and calmly stroked the ball, via a defender, into the bottom corner for his first of the season. Selection headaches for manager Phelim Warren before Thursdays cup quarter final, and hopefully College can maintain their current form for the remainder of the season.

TCAFC: Leckey, Flood (K.Brady 75), Hanlon, D.Brady (O'Loughlin 65), O'Grady, Stanley, McCabe, Bishop(c), Rafter (Lombard 70), O'Frighial, Murray.

6/Jan/02 (LSL - Div 2)
Terenure College 3:2 Confey

Terenure avenged their mauling at the hands of the Leixlip side earlier in the season with a battling performance that Confey were not capable of matching. College got the ideal start when a corner from the right, their third in quick succession, was directed goalwards by Declan Bradys brave header. The Confey keeper didn't see the ball until late, and by that stage the ball had hit the base of the post and crossed the line.
Confey fought back strongly, and exerted some strong pressure on the Terenure goal for the next ten minutes, but they were thwarted by a resolute defense. When Fergal O'Dwyer dispossessed the away sides left winger, his superb 40 yard drilled pass was picked up by Rafter. The striker beat the last defender, and finished emphatically to put College 2-0 up after 20 minutes. College conceded a penalty just before half time, which was converted to give the visitors a life line at the break.
Confey began the second half with all guns blazing, and the equaliser came in the 55th minute. A corner was cleared only as far as the left wing, and the return cross was finished from close range by the centre half. The frantic pace of the game never let up, and on 70 minutes, Terenure regained the lead when Dave Floods chipped pass was nodded into Brain Cullens path by Declan Brady. The striker controlled the ball well, and volleyed the ball past the helpless keeper. College fought tooth and nail to preserve the lead, and despite a couple of scares late on, deservedly emerged victorious.
Excellent performances all round, particularly Fergal O'Dwyer, Flood and man of the match Leckey. College have a two week break to prepare for the final 5 games of the season, which will be eagerly anticipated.

TCAFC: Leckey, O'Frighial, Hanlon, Brady, Frehill, Flood, F.O'Dwyer, Breen, Cullen, Rafter, P.O'Dwyer
Subs: Warren for P.O'Dwyer(60), Bishop for Breen(70), O'Loughlin.

18/Nov/01 (LSL - Div 2)
Alpine Express 4:3 Terenure College

The home side shaded this closely fought encounter to avenge their defeat in Terenure earlier in the season. On an extremely compact pitch, Alpine took the lead after 25 minutes, when a shot from the edge of the area was pushed onto the post by Leckey, but rebounded into the strikers path and he made no mistake from 4 yards out. College equalized straight away, when a clever free kick from Frehill released O'Grady down the right, and his slide rule pass was finished by Rafter. O'Grady played no further part in the game and was replaced by Warren after 30 minutes. Alpine took the lead just before half time, when their striker broke free down the right hand side and finished past the unlucky Leckey.
The second half was a fast and furious affair, with both sides going close in the opening moments. College equalized when Warren picked up a clearance from a corner, skipped through the onrushing Alpine defence, cut the ball back and Brian Cullen popped the ball into an open goal. Alpine regained their lead when a cross wasn't cleared properly, and the Alpine midfielder smashed the ball home off the crossbar, despite a gallant attempt at a save from Leckey. Alpine extended the lead when their right winner stole in behind the defence to turn in a deep cross.
Terenure pulled a goal back from the penalty spot after Rafter was fouled in the area, but Terenure could not find the equalizer despite some late pressure.

TCAFC: Leckey, O'Frighial, Hanlon, Breen, O'Grady, Frehill, O'Dwyer, McCabe, Cullen, Rafter, Murray.
Subs: Warren for O'Grady(30), Lombard for Breen(70), Brady.

11/Nov/01 (LSL - Div 2)
Terenure College 2:2 St. Josephs Boys

Terenure will rue a string of missed opportunities that gave them the chance to finish this game off before half time, but in the end, a draw seemed to be a fair result in this closely fought encounter. Terenure were by far the better side in the first half, passing and moving well, but chances were at a premium. Rafter came close with a volley, but failed to put enough power behind it to trouble the keeper.
Ciarán Murray gave the Joeys right back a torrid time throughout, and his crosses were causing the away side defence no end of trouble. Lombard and Rafter twice were inches away from connecting with centres from the wide man. Lombard went close again after 25 minutes when he broke free of his marker, but his shot when one on one with the keeper drifted just wide of the right hand post. Joeys took the lead after 30 minutes, when a corner was cleared by their defence. A quick break saw the Josephs number 8 pick up the ball in the midfield, and unmarked, he chipped the ball over Leckey from 40 yards. Joeys extended their lead soon afterwards, when their left full struck a sweet shot from 20 yards, which the unlucky Leckey in the Terenure goal got a hand to. However, the ball hit the underside of the crossbar and crossed the line off the keepers back.
College didn't lose their composure, and Denis O'Frighial scored from a direct free kick on the stroke of half time. His 30 yard curled effort was the left backs second in as many games. Terenure equalized after 5 minutes of the second half, Rafter smashing Declan Bradys knock down into the net. The rest of the game was played at a fast and furious pace, but neither side managed to find the net again, despite College dominating large portions of the remainder of the game.

TCAFC: Leckey, O'Grady, Hanlon, Brady, Frehill, O'Frighial, McCabe, Bishop, Lombard, Rafter, Murray.
Subs: Kearney, O'Loughlin, Warren

4/Nov/01 (LSL - Div 2)
Confey 6:2 Terenure College

Terenure suffered their heaviest league defeat against a well organized Confey side this morning. Despite not playing particularly badly, defensive errors killed off Terenure in this ill tempered affair, gifting Confey four goals. Confey took the lead after Terenure were caught on the break. A long ball was not cleared adequately and the Confey striker promptly buried the ball from 18 yards. Confey doubled their lead with an almost identical goal five minutes later. On 30 minutes, centre half Mark Hanlon fouled in the area, and the referee had no alternative but to point to the spot. Keeper Alec Leckey kept up his impressive record at defending spot kicks by steering the shot wide of his left hand post.
Ciarán Rafter brought the score line back to 2-1 with a clinical strike just before half time, and Terenure were back in the game. College played the better football in the first half, with Ciarán Murray and Ciarán Rafter in particular having good scoring opportunities. However,it was 2-1 at the break.
Confeys third came in the 2nd minute of the second half, a powerful free kick from the edge of the area which Leckey was helpless to stop. Soon afterwards, Confey extended their lead, despite what appeared to be a clear foul committed by the Confey striker. The unsighted referee allowed the play to continue, and the goal was given. Terenure were reduced to 10 men on the hour, when Darren Frehill was sent off for violent conduct. Strangely, the Confey number nine was not sent off for a similar incident, and was merely booked. College were unable to contain the home side from then on, and Confey scored twice more before the end. Terenure scored a consolation goal right at the death, when D O'Frighial finished off Rafters blocked effort.
College did not play as badly as the shoreline suggests, but will have to tighten up at the back before the next game if another calamitous result is to be avoided.

TCAFC: Leckey, O'Frighial, Hanlon, Brady, O'Grady, Frehill, O'Dwyer, Bishop, Rafter, Cullen, Murray
Subs: McCabe for Brady(65), Lombard for Cullen(75), Warren

15/Oct/01 (LSL - Div 2)
Black Forge 2:4 Terenure College

College were back to their best this morning to ease through a potentially tricky match against a Black Forge side that had started the league campaign extremely well.
The opening 20 minutes were totally dominated by the away team, with slick passing movements and lightning fast breaks leaving Black Forge wondering what had hit them. Ciarán Murray was the main benefactor of most of these attacks, coming close three times in ten minutes, only to have his goal bound efforts cleared off the line twice and spectacularly saved by the home sides keeper. For all Terenures attractive football, College eventually took the lead after 25 minutes when an attempted back pass from the Forge left full was intercepted by Ciarán Rafter, and was placed through the keepers legs and into the net. The lead was doubled shortly afterwards, Rafter converting a penalty after he was upended in the area. Forge pulled one back on the stroke of half time, when Mick Stanley unfortunately put through his own net, when a low corner skidded off the wet surface and flew in off the centre half.
The second half was a more even affair, with Forge seeking an equalizer with much urgency. College had other plans, and Rafter netted his hat trick after 60 minutes, hooking the ball into the net after a goal mouth scramble. Forge scored again, when the Terenure back 4 were caught out with a quick counter attack, but the two goal lead was restored with Rafter and Colleges fourth after 80 minutes, another close range effort which gave the keeper no chance. Terenure played much of this game with great attacking flair, and are looking like a team in form after a shaky start to the season. Skipper Karl Bishop started his first game of the season and pulled all the strings in midfield, and recently promoted from the seconds Darren Frehill produced a man of the match performance at left full. Mick Stanley picked up a nasty knee injury however, and could be out for a considerably long time.

TCAFC: Leckey, Frehill, Hanlon, Brady, O'Grady, Stanley, O'Dwyer, Bishop, Cullen, Rafter, Murray.
Subs: McCabe for Murray(55), O'Frighial for Bishop(75), Warren.

15/Oct/01 (LSL - Div 2)
St Josephs Boys 0:2 Terenure College

This fast and furious encounter at Tivoli Terrace was in the end convincingly won by an extremely determined and well organized Terenure College side. In the end, Joeys simply were unable to match the powerful tackling of Declan Brady in midfield, and the clinical finishing of Ciarán Rafter. Joeys started the game brightly, flashing a couple of long range chances goalwards that failed to trouble goalkeeper Leckey unduly. They continued to have the lions share of possession, but were unable to breach a well organized Terenure back four. In fact, regardless of their avenue of approach, Josephs were repelled at every opportunity, and when eventually they managed to play around the defence, Leckey was quick off his line to clear up any danger.
As the half progressed, College began to hit Josephs with quick counter attacks, mainly through the direct running of O'Grady, O'Frighial and Murray down each flank. On one such occasion, Ciarán Murray was brought down on the left wing after a typical surging break. Darren Frehills perfectly placed free kick was bundled over the line at the back post by man of the match Brady, who out-jumped three players to connect with the ball. Ten minutes later, after another quick counter, the tireless Brian Cullen held off a couple of challenges and fed Rafter with a clever pass. The Terenure hitman finished stylishly with his weaker foot to extend the lead.
The second half saw Terenure take control of the midfield, with Brady and Warren winning most of the 50:50 challenges easily. Rafter went close from an O'Frighial corner, Murray was unlucky with a deflected shot and Cullen was denied by a last ditch tackle. Niall McCabes introduction saw the influential wingers first touch, a volley from the edge of the area, smash off the crossbar, and Rafter again hit the crossbar with a header.
Joeys pressed and pressed for a goal, but were shown no quarter by a resolute Terenure side. College were reduced to 10 men on 85 minutes, after Hanlon was dismissed for a second bookable offence, and Josephs hit the crossbar from the resulting scramble after the free kick was only half cleared. Declan Brady rescued Terenure with a magnificent tackle in the 18 yard box when it looked certain that Josephs would score, and Mick Stanley bravely cleared from close range to disperse another attack.
Alec Leckeys third clean sheet in a row saw Terenure come out on top of this frenetic clash, with a respectable away record of played 9, won 5 drawn 1. More good news for Phelim Warren was the return of Karl Bishop and Dave Flood from injury. Things look good for next weekend.

TCAFC: Leckey, O'Frighial, Hanlon, Brady, O'Grady, Stanley, Frehill, Warren, Cullen, Rafter, Murray.
Subs: McCabe for Murray 60, Flood for Frehill 75, Bishop for Warren 80.

7/Oct/01 (LSL - Div 2)
Walkinstown Utd 5:2 v Terenure College

This game essentially summed up Terenures season to date, with flashes of brilliance, moments of madness and a huge amount of misfortune thrown in for good measure. Walkinstown started very brightly, attacking from the off, and going close with a long range drive after only 2 minutes. Terenure gave as good as they got, and O'Dwyer hit the crossbar with a clever attempt on goal shortly after.
Walkinstown took the lead through a somewhat fortuitous goal after 20 minutes. A corner was half cleared, and the ball was headed goalwards. It appeared to be an easy take for Victory in the College goal, but a fluke deflection off the shoulder of the Walkinstown striker took it away from the keeper and into the net. Walkinstown extended their lead 5 minutes later, when a miscued shot from close range was turned goalwards off the head of the Walkinstown forward. The third came 5 minutes before half time, when a shot from the edge of the area was wickedly deflected off Hanlon and looped over Victory.
The second half was a completely different game. The introduction of Ciarán Murray and Colm Costello on the wings injected some much needed pace and invention, and all of a sudden, Terenure were the better side. In fact, College dominated the second half completely, but were denied time after time by a resolute home defence. Rafter pulled one back for Terenure after a goal mouth scramble after 60 minutes. The home side extended their lead from their first foray forward, when a front post corner was glanced past Victory after some awful defending. Rafter scored again to shorten the deficit, after Stanleys through ball released Murray on the left wing. His low centre was met emphatically by the big striker for his and Colleges second. Walkinstowns fifth came in the 85th minute, when the defence were caught out by a quick break. The home sides centre forward ran unchallenged from his own half, rounded Victory and rolled the ball casually into the net.
Chance after chance went awry for Terenure, and perhaps on another day, the scoreline would have been a lot different. They were also hampered by an injury to O'Grady after all subs were used, and finished the game with 10 men. However the damage had already been done. If they play as well as they did in the second half for the rest of the season, they will do well. However, if they play as poorly as they did in the first, they will struggle to keep their heads above water.

TCAFC: Victory, Frehill, Hanlon, Brady, O'Grady, Stanley, O'Dwyer, Warren, Rafter, Cullen, McCabe
Subs: Murray for McCabe(HT), Costello for Warren(HT), Breen for Brady(55)

30/Sept/01 (LSL - Div 2)
Terenure Coll 3:2 Alpine Express

A thrilling encounter at the College saw Terenure’s season really take off with a gutsy if fortunate win over Alpine.Despite still being minus long-term injury victim Karl Bishop and also down Mark Hanlon, this was the strongest XI manager Phelim Warren had to choose from all season with Denis O’Frighil back from the States and Dec Brady and Fergal O’Dwyer returning in the critical central midfield roles.
Terenure started extremely well, playing with great urgency and slick passing movements had Alpine under intense early pressure. But Alpine settled and had probably the better chances before College took the lead after 24 minutes with a simply stunning goal. Left back Dave Flood broke up an Alpine attack on his own box and passed to Gar O’Grady. O’Grady gave an early ball to O’Frighil who in turn knocked an early ball down the right flank towards Lombard. Lombard made up 2-3 yards to skin the left back and his early cross was met at the near post by Rafter who volleyed spectacularly to the net for a goal that will probably not be bettered this season. That was to be the only goal of a very open half, which sadly ended after 37 minutes for the impressive Flood who limped off with a hamstring injury. Richie Lombard also failed to appear for the second half after an early ankle injury failed to disappear.
In the first minute of the second half, Mick Stanley was harshly adjudged to have held the Alpine player in the box and a penalty was awarded. Terenure keeper Des Victory pulled off a blinding save to his left and O’Frighil completed the clearance. Brian Cullen who replaced Lombard twice went close after good College play before Alpine got a deserved equaliser. A soft corner conceded by College was headed powerfully past Victory by Alpine’s number 5. Alpine went on to dominate for the next 20 minutes as Terenure’s earlier midfield dominance disappeared as O’Dwyer and Brady tired. It was no surprise when after 65 minutes Alpine went 2-1 ahead after Terenure were slow to react to 50-50 balls and Victory had no chance at the far post.
College kept battling in their customary fashion, refusing to concede defeat and protecting an 18 game unbeaten home League record, stretching back almost 2 years. Warren, Brady and Cullen all had chances to even the scores and Alpine also had chances to seal the points as the game swung from end to end. After 80 minutes, Rafter’s header on saw Brian Cullen evade a tackle to finish high into the net from 10 yards to level matters. College smelled victory now and kept up the pressure showing great reserves of guts and character.
The winner arrived after 87 minutes, John Geelon’s long throw on the right was flicked on by Stanley and Rafter totally wrong footed the Alpine keeper with a wonderful overhead kick from 8 yards to steal the points for the home side. Terenure comfortably held out for the remaining minutes and Rafter went close again after a great cross from Cullen.
This performance was more like the Terenure side of the past couple of years, though they did ride their luck at times, but this win should kick start a serious assault on the Division 2 campaign.

Terenure: Victory; O’Grady, Stanley, Geelon, Flood; O’Frighil, Dec Brady, O’Dwyer, McCabe; Rafter. Lombard.
Subs: Warren for Flood (37), Cullen for Lombard (HT).

9/Sept/01 (LSL - Div 2)
Cherryfield 1 v Terenure College 7

This game will stand out in the memory of two College players in particular. Striker Richie Lombard bagged his first hat trick for the club, and was joined shortly afterwards by Mick Stanley, who even more impressively, bagged his trio of sticks from centre midfield. Stanley was instrumental in the demolition of Cherryfield, and had a hand in creating two more goals aside from his own.
Terenure took the lead after 20 minutes. O'Grady and McCabe pressured the home defence into conceding a corner, which wasn't dealt with convincingly, and Lombard pounced to score. Rafter made it two soon after, with a characteristic lethal finish from a tight angle. After 40 minutes, a long throw from Geelon was flicked into Lombards path by Stanley, and the striker made no mistake from 8 yards out. Stanley scored his first from an identical move, following up Rafters deflected effort to put College 4 in front. Cherryfield caught Terenure on the break just before half time, their centre forward scoring after a jinking run which took him past three defenders before slotting the ball past Victory in goal. Before the half time whistle, Augusto struck the crossbar with a powerful drive after a mazy dribble, and McCabe and Rafter were both denied by fine saves by the home keeper.
The second half was totally dominated by Terenure, and they went 5-1 up in the first minute. Hanlons headed pass was turned into the path of Lombard by excellent O'Dwyer, and with the home side pushing out for offside, Lombard placed the ball under the on rushing keeper to complete his hat trick. Stanley scored his second after 75 minutes, calmly slotting the ball past the keeper from close range, with the College players queuing up to score in the area. His third came after a flowing move down the left, Niall McCabes inch perfect cross was met with a looping header which left the keeper with no chance.
Excellent performances all over the park, particularly from Lombard, Stanley and O'Dwyer proved that the winning formula is returning to the side, although unfortunately, Terenure won't have many more games as easy as this.

TCAFC: Victory, O'Grady, Hanlon, Hanley, Geelon, Stanley, O'Dwyer, Augusto, Lombard, Rafter, McCabe
Subs: Cullen for O'Grady 70, Warren for Augusto 70.

2/Sept/01 (LSL - Div 2)
Pegasus 2 v Terenure College 2

It is difficult to imagine what Terenure have to do to get back into winning ways these days. Despite having the lions share of possession, and creating significantly more chances than the home side, College emerged from this clash with only a point to show for their efforts. Niall McCabe opened the scoring after 20 minutes, when he dispossessed the Pegasus right full, and sent a low drive past the keeper from a tight angle. Soon after, McCabe hit the post and Lombard had the ball cleared off the line twice in the following scramble.
Pegasus equalised near the half tiome whistle, when College were caught on the break, and were may pay for a lapse in concentration. The second half was a more open affair, but again, College had the better of the chances, with Lombard and Rafter both going close. Rafter had hit the post before Pegasus took the lead against the run of play, when a throw in from the right was intercepted and smashed into the net from 20 yards. Pegasus assumed control of the game for the next 10 minutes, twice going close, with only an acrobatic stop by Victory preventing them extending their lead.
Terenure equalised after 75, Rafter capitalising on some defensive uncertainties to slot home from close range after Lombards effort was blocked.
So 2 wins, 2 defeats and a draw from the first 5 games of the season. Not a bad start by any means, but not a run of results the team are used to. The frustration after last weeks defeat to Newtown seems to have dissipated somewhat, and the team played some excellent football throughout, with Niall McCabe and Augusto regularly leaving defenders in their wake. However, the home games will be welcomed with open arms.

TCAFC: Victory, O'Grady, Hanlon, Brady, Geelon, Stanley, Augusto, Warren, Lombard, Rafter, McCabe
Subs: Hanley for Warren 70.

28/Aug/01 (LSL - Div 2)
Newtown Rangers 4 v Terenure College 0

Any good team is gretaer than the sum of its parts. Man for man, Terenure matched Newtown in every department. Collectively, they played like strangers, with precious little cohesion or fluidity. While they were still without influential skipper Karl Bishop and Fergal O'Dwyer through injury, College still had enough of the play to trouble the home defence on occasion, but never really posed a threat in a disjointed performance.
The home side were a goal up after 15 minutes, when a flowing move down their right wing was finished from close range. Terenure had the better of the remainder of the first half, but the closest they came to scoring was a Geelon free kick that was spectacularly saved.
College were proving difficult to break down in the second half. The home side had taken the reins and were attacking at every opportunity, but weren't getting many chances on goal. On the hour mark, the otherwise impressive O'Grady committed a rash foul on the Newtown striker inside the area, and College were 2 down from the penalty. Terenure were in disarray, and fell further behind after 70 minutes, despite Newtown being reduced to 10 men. A corner was defended inadequately, and College were punished with a powerful header into the back of the net. The fourth came after 85, when Terenure were caught on the break, and the Newtown substitute finished emphatically after running unchallenged from the half way line.
A disappointing performance from Terenure, who have to work on their team ethic if they are to get anything form Sundays away game to Pegasus.

TCAFC: Victory, O'Grady, Hanlon, Brady, Fitzpatrick, Stanley, Geelon, Warren, Lombard, Rafter, McCabe.
Subs: O'Loughlin for Stanley 70, Breen

26/Aug/01 (LSL - Div 2)
Air Lingus 0 v. Terenure College 1

If there is one thing that Phelim Warren has taught his Terenure College side, it's that a match is never, ever over until the final whistle is blown. A late late goal settled this tie in favour of Terenure, despite an injury crisis that has deprived Warren of 5 regular first team players. Niall McCabe was the latest casualty, withdrawing from the squad at the last moment after failing a fitness test. His replacement on the left wing, Owen Keating, was instrumental in creating the opening for Ciarán Rafter to score his fifth of the season.
O'Loughlin won a towering header at the back, and Mick Stanley, deputizing in midfield, fed Keating on the left. His through pass was collected by Rafter, who casually beat the keeper and finished from a tight angle.
In a game that was thin on goal scoring chances, College just about shaded it on the balance of play, despite some resolute defending from a succession of corners in the first half. Terenure are also indebted to keeper Victory, who produced a stunning close range stop to deny Air Lingus the lead.
Ultimately, three points that College have to be happy with. Pluses from this match included Brazilian attacker Augusto Rochas magical touches in the midfield, and another storming performance from O'Grady at left full. Declan Fitzpatricks return to first team action after a prolonged absence was another bonus. However, striker Brian Cullen picked up a nasty knee injury that will probably keep him out of Tuesdays game with Newtown. Phelim Warren must be confident that it can only get better from here on in.

TCAFC: Victory, O'Grady, Hanlon, Brady, O'Loughlin, Stanley, Augusto, Warren, Cullen, Rafter, Keating
Subs: Fitzpatrick for Cullen 44

21/Aug/01 (LSL - Div 2)
Meath Rangers 5 v Terenure College 0

Terenures 22 month unbeaten league run was brought to an abrupt halt last night by a rampant Meath Rangers side. College were up against it from the start having lost 3 players through injury. College were by no means spectators however, and the scoreline somewhat flatters the home side. Rangers scored first on the half hour, through a speculative long range effort which rebounded off the crossbar and into the net off the unlucky Victory in goal. It was the home teams first attempt on goal. The second came shortly before half time through another long range effort after the College midfield were caught napping.
The second half saw much of the same, and Rangers took a three goal lead after a corner which eluded everyone at the front post deflected into the net off Hanlon. Terenure switched to a 3-5-2 formation, and for a while dominated proceedings with some excellent passing football, but the potential was always there for the quick counter attack, and sure enough, Rangers went 4 up after 75, through another long range attempt which looped over Victorys head. The fifth came on the stroke of full time, with another long distance drive.
The result is not the end of the world by any stretch, but is quite a heavy blow to morale. College have two more away fixtures in quick succession, and if they are to avoid more heavy defeats like this, they need to get their first eleven fit and firing on all cylinders.

TCAFC: Victory, O'Grady, Hanlon, Brady. Geelon, Stanley, Augusto, Warren, Cullen, Rafter, Keating.
Subs: O'Dwyer for Warren 20, Copeland for O'Dwyer 45, O'Loughlin for O'Grady 80

19/Aug/01 (LSL - Div 2)
I.G.B. 2 v Terenure College 6 (Rafter 4, Cullen, McCabe)

The new season began in much the same fashion as the last one ended, with College claiming all the points off a spirited I.G.B. side. The opening 45 minutes was a closely fought encounter, with both sides enjoying spells of attacking pressure. I.G.B. opened the scoring with a close range header from a corner which the College defence should have cleared. The lead lasted for 15 minutes, when Fergal O'Dwyer, playing in an unfaniliar role in the centre of the park, released Rafter after a mazy run, and the Terenure hitman finished off the move with typical nonchalance from an extremely acute angle.
The second half was a much more one sided affair, with College scoring their second and third in quick succession, both from the boot of Rafter, who managed to complete his first hat trick of the new season within an hour. Brian Cullen scored Terenures fifth, pouncing on a mistake by the I.G.B. keeper, and taking the ball over the line.
The home side pulled a goal back, converting a penalty conceded by Brady, but by then the result was never in doubt, and to seal the victory, Niall McCabe scored from close range after 80 minutes.
A good start for the college, who never really got out of second gear. The up and coming fixture versus Newtown will be a different prospect altogether.

TCAFC: Victory, O'Grady, Hanlon, Brady, Geelon(c), Stanley, O'Dwyer, Warren, Rafter, Cullen, McCabe.
Subs: Copeland for Cullen, O'Loughlin for Brady, Augusto for Warren