Match Reports Div2- season 2003/2004

Brighton Celtic 3:1 TCAFC

Brighton secured second spot with a most flattering 3-1 win over Champions Terenure, with 8 points finally separating the teams in the final League table.
Warren had to completely re-jig his selection with 6 players unavailable for the last League game but an experienced eleven still took to Brighton's scandalous field, masquerading as a football pitch.
After a promising start from the Champs, Brighton took an undeserved lead on 6 minutes, a long ball forward saw keeper Al Leckey dash to edge of the box where his headed clearance only found the Brighton forward who headed beyond the despairing Dave Flood who couldn't keep it out.
But for the remainder of the half it was all Terenure, Murray twice bringing saves from the Brighton keeper, Rafter being wrongly called offside after netting (resulting in a warning to Warren over his justified ticking off to the ref), Carney went close and Costello having an effort hacked off the line in a frenzy of College chances. On 44 minutes the pressure finally told, Gary Smith latching on to a long punt to round the keeper and score a deserved equaliser.
The early stages of the second half were more even and College were punished on the hour mark for switching off at a free kick. The ball to the far post picked out an unmarked Brighton player whose header across the goalmouth was headed past an exposed Leckey from close range.
Jason Frehill was introduced with 22 minutes remaining as College sought to get level, Costello again went close at the far post and Murray was inches wide after a typical surging run but after 79 minutes, two tired attempted clearances from Jordan and Hanlon saw the Brighton forward finish brilliantly from nowhere to make it 3-1 to the home side.
College kept at it however till the end, Costello yet again went close, this time with a header and Rafter also had a couple of chances but it was that kind of day for the Champions.
So despite the last day defeat, it was very good performance today from the Champs with no reward and it's been a great season for Terenure College, their second League win in four seasons and a new challenge next season awaits with Premier standard football.

TCAFC: Leckey; Costello, Hanlon, Flood, D.Frehill; Smith (J.Frehill 68), Bishop, Jordan, Murray; Carney (Drennan 80), Rafter.
Sub not used: Warren.

TCAFC 2:3 Brighton Celtic (Extra time golden goal)

Cullen Cup Quarter Final
Terenure's hopes of an historic double were ended in dramatic fashion in a heart-stopping quarter final epic with Brighton Celtic who must now be favourites to go on and win the Cup.
The League Champs 'Nure again began strongly as they have the last few weeks and Karl Bishop's clever through ball after just five minutes saw Denis O'Frighil beat the keeper from a tight enough angle with his left foot to give Terenure the perfect start.
But just ten minutes later, a great crossfield pass from the Brighton left split Geelon and Flood and the Brighton players shot was past Wilson before he could move to level the score.
College bounced back though and after a great move McCabe was set up by O'Frighil and somehow the Brighton defender took McCabe's shot off the line. Still the drama continued, Carney set up O'Frighil who was upended just inside the box but Karl Bishop's penalty struck the bar and Jordan handled the rebound.
Wilson also had to be alert to smother when the Brighton player got clear as the game swung to the other end but after 39 minutes Jordan's lovely ball put Murray in, his cross found O'Frighil but somehow the keeper saved; the ball was half cleared, Carney had a shot and finally Murray scored from 6 yards to give College a 2-1 half time lead.
Brighton started the second half far better than the home side and just before the hour mark a cross on the Brighton right was headed powerfully home for the equaliser.
Seconds later, Ken Carney pulled his hamstring and Ciarán Rafter was in chomping at the bit, but within minutes, the referee adjudged that Rafter had struck the Brighton player and a straight red was produced for the shocked Rafter, it seemed ridiculously harsh but Nure were down to ten men.
Nure finished the stronger with Geelon going close with a header, but in the 89th minute another controversial refereeing decision saw Geelon penalised inside the Nure area and a penalty awarded to Brighton. Wilson flung himself to his left to make a brilliant save and keep Terenure alive for extra time.
Two minutes in, Dave Flood's calf gave in and as Darren Frehill prepared to come in, Wilson saved a shot but with the left back position vacant, the cross from that side picked out the Brighton player at the far post and he gave Wilson no chance to score the golden goal and end Terenure's Double dream.
Despite the sickening end for College, this was a great advert for Division 2 football and Terenure can be proud of their effort tonight, the double proved a step too far.

TCFAC: Wilson; Costello, Geelon, K.Brady, Flood; McCabe, Bishop, Jordan, Murray (Smith 65); Carney (Rafter 59), O'Frighil.

TCAFC 1:1 Verona

Div 2 Champions Terenure completed their home League campaign preserving their unbeaten record in a closely fought game against Verona and put paid to the away team's slim promotion hopes.
With the League won, Warren rewarded Dec Brady for his patience with a starting spot and Ciarán Rafter kept his place with Karl Bishop and Denis O'Frighil rested so David Flood captained the Champs.
Rafter had an early chance after a great ball by Jordan but the Verona keeper saved well but it was Verona who opened the scoring on 14 minutes when a cross from their left to the far side, beat Kev Brady's header, the Verona player skipped past Flood and beat Wilson with a fine finish.
The referee had his hands full as Verona seemed to contest every decision and numerous yellow cards were handed out with Dec Brady and Murray from the home side also cautioned as College turned the screw but at half time Verona had hung on to their lead.
Dec Brady shot over early second half from a good position and on 55 mins Karl Bishop was brought in as College looked to rescue something from a tight contest. Just on the hour, Terenure's persistence was rewarded when Stevie Jordan's strong run was ended by a foul 25 yards out. Ciarán Rafter's brilliantly struck free kick brushed the bar on its way into the net for the equaliser.
As promised, Warren gave his other subs a run so O'Frighil and Drennan were in for Rafter and Murray and Drennan was soon involved in a fine move with Costello and Carney but Carney was blocked well.
At the other end, Verona threatened little, finding Costello and Kev Brady in particular impossible to break down and as College pressed for the winner, Geelon's header went just wide. Denis O'Frighil having just received a yellow card for a foul then lost his head soon after, gesturing at the referee who had no choice but to double the yellow up to a red and O'Frighil was off having only played 15 minutes but Verona were unable to make the extra man count for the final 10 minutes.
Terenure should have had a penalty at the death after Drennan's lovely reverse pass found Carney who was then nailed by the Verona keeper, but the referee was the only one who deemed it not a penalty and Carney limped through the remaining minutes and it finished 1-1.
So eight wins and a draw for the home campaign, and going back to last season, it's 12 unbeaten in the League at Fortress Terenure.

TCAFC: Wilson; Costello, K.Brady, Geelon, Flood; McCabe, D.Brady (Bishop 55), Jordan, Murray (Drennan 65); Rafter (O'Frighil 65), Carney.

Esker Celtic 0:3 TCAFC

Terenure were crowned Division 2 Champions with two games to spare as they eventually overpowered a spirited Esker side with three second half strikes and the defeat for Esker will lead to a dogfight for second spot.
There was little between the teams in a cagey first half, Terenure's best efforts were an early Bishop shot over and the Esker keeper also saved well from Kieran Murray with Niall McCabe also shooting over from a good opening after Geelon had helped on O'Frighil's cross. Esker's best chance came on the half hour, Colm Costello lost a ball in the sunshine and the Esker player shot wildly wide when clean through.
But College finished the half piling on the pressure and kept the momentum up as the 2nd half commenced. On 50 minutes Karl Bishop dispossessed the Esker player on the edge of the box and Bishop charged through strongly past a couple of tackles to beat the keeper from close range for the crucial opener.
The goal settled the Champions elect and they started to play with far more purpose and penetration with Esker now on the rack. On the hour mark, O Frighil's corner on the left was expertly delivered as usual and Ken Carney rose to power home a header from close range to give College the driving seat. It was Carney's fifth goal in four successive games.
Esker continued to battle and Wilson was forced to a smart low save from a free kick but that was as close as the home side came with Kev Brady and John Geelon in brilliant form in the cenre of defence and Costello and Flood either side solid and composed.
Subsitute Ciaran Rafter replaced the tireless Carney after 78 minutes and within 5 minutes, Rafter put the icing on the Terenure cake, running on to Stevie Jordan's pass to easily slot the ball past the keeper for 3-0. So a very impressive way for College to secure the title and hopes of a first ever double for Terenure still very much alive and kicking.

TCAFC: Wilson, Costello, Geeelon, K.Brady, Flood; McCabe (Smith 64), Bishop (D.Brady 72), Jordan, Murray; Carney (Rafter 78), O'Frighil.

St Joseph's Boys 3:4 TCAFC (Cullen Cup)

Terenure advanced to the last 8 of the Cullen Cup in a thrilling encounter at Tivoli Terrace to keep their hopes of the Double alive.
With David Flood shaking off a calf injury, Nure's only change from the last outing was Ken Carney replacing the unavailable Ciaran Rafter and stung by the league defeat here before Christmas, Terenure tore into the home side from the off. From their 3rd corner inside the opening 5 minutes, John Geelon powered in a header from O'Frighil's delivery to give College the lead. Minutes later, it was almost two as Karl Bishop's piledriver from 20 yards was brilliantly saved by the Joey's keeper high to his left.
But with Joey's first meaningful attack after 22 minutes, they equalised, a fine rising shot from the edge of the box gave Wilson no chance. Just on the half hour mark, College twice gave away possession cheaply and the Joey's winger got in behind the defence, rounded Wilson who then tripped over his own player and couldn't prevent the ball going inside the far post for a very soft goal and 2-1 to Joey's. Nure regrouped and Carney went close as College finished the half on top but it was 2-1 at the break to the home side.
From the restart, Carney found Murray whose excellent cross deserved better with no one there to finish at the far post as College set about rescuing the situation. But just past the hour mark, Flood was harshly adjudged to have fouled just outside the area and the Joey's lad curled the free over the wall and past the despairing Wilson to give Joey's a 3-1 lead.
Terenure didn't panic however with plenty of time left and McCabe went close from Bishop's clever pass and Murray forced another excellent save from the Joey's keeper. After 66 minutes Murray's cross was spilled by the keeper with O'Frighil challenging and O'Frighil jabbed the ball home to reduce the deficit.
Gary Smith was then introduced for McCabe and he went close following a great build up with College dominating and Joey's completely on the rack. It was no surprise that College equalised on 74 minutes after more pressure. Costello's delightful lofted pass found Carney who chested down advanced and eventually found the corner with all Nure players, subs and gaffer pleading with him to put it away. It was a deserved goal for the tireless Carney and College also fully deserved the leveller.
So to extra time which lasted a mere three minutes. Wilson hoisted a free kick downfield, Smith won a header and then Carney in turn headed back to Stevie Jordan; Jordan controlled the ball on his thigh and hit a dipping volley from 30 yards which arrowed into the back of the net to send College through. Goal of the Season without a doubt and a fitting end to a memorable match.

TCAFC: Wilson, Costello, Flood, Geelon, Frehill, McCabe (Smith '67), Bishop, Jordan, Murray; Carney, O'Frighil.
Subs not used: D.Brady, K.Brady.

Terenure College 7:1 Hartstown Utd

Terenure got back to winning ways following their defeat to today's opponents two weeks ago as they banished that loss in ruthless and clinical style.
With 15 players available, Warren's headache was who to leave out and the unlucky four were the Brady brothers, Ken Carney and Gary Smith with McCabe and Geelon regaining starting spots.
In the opening minute, College signalled their hunger to put things right when a great ball from Bishop saw Rafter's shot saved from close range but just three minutes in Murray seized on a loose ball down the left and his near post cross was met by O'Frighil's diving header to open the scoring.
It was all College and after twenty minutes it was two, Bishop again releasing Rafter who turned inside the defender and walloped it past the keeper for a vintage Rafter goal. A needlessly conceded corner however a few minutes later gave Hartstown a soft goal as Wilson dropped the corner to the foot of the Hartstown player, a carbon copy of one conceded two weeks ago.
The game turned College's way again after 36 minutes. An off the ball incident with McCabe led to the Hartstown No 8 getting a red card for violent conduct and from the resultant free, Rafter's shot was parried into the path of O'Frighil who smashed it high into the net for 3-1. Two minutes later, Frehill's throw released Murray who squared to Jordan on the edge of the box and Jordan rifled it low into the corner for a 4-1 half time lead.
The second half was scrappy enough as College cruised along and Hartstown offering little or no threat but Hartstown's keeper was kept busy enough and one save in particular from Rafter had the Goal King shaking his head in disbelief. But a corner from O'Frighil on 64 minutes found the unmarked Rafter who headed easily home for the fifth.
Murray and McCabe also went close before two goals in the last ten minutes from sub Ken Carney saw Nure chalk up 50 League goals. Carney converted a rebound after O'Frighil's shot was saved and just on full time, Bishop released Murray whose cross was well finished by the impressive Carney from close range.
So 8 wins from 8 at home for College and with three games to play, Esker's defeat today leaves Nure needing just a point to win the Division 2 title.

TCAFC: Wilson; Costello, Geelon, Flood, Frehill (K.Brady 55), McCabe, Bishop, Jordan (D.Brady '68), Murray; Rafter (Carney '75), O'Frighil. Sub not used - Smith

Hartstown Utd 5:4 Terenure College

College's title charge was checked in chaotic circumstances as their hitherto excellent defence assumed Man Utd like tendencies in gifting Hartstown all their goals on a damp and windy morning.
With Ciarán Rafter left waiting at the West Link Toll Bridge, College began the game with 10 players and though Rafter was rescued to start after 7 minutes, within seconds Hartstown went in front. A ball was played behind Kev Brady, who slipped in the wet allowing the Hartstown player to shoot low past Wilson.
It took ages for College to settle and on one of the few occasions they did the get the ball down and played, they equalised. Dec Brady's clever ball released Rafter whose shot was saved but Ken Carney followed up and scored from 10 yards after 33 minutes. College now upped the tempo and found their feet and went ahead after 38 with a brilliant goal. Flood and Frehill began the move and Frehill found Carney just inside the Hartstown half. Carney laid if off nicely and Karl Bishop's wonderful pass played in Rafter who beat a defender easily and curled in a great goal from 15 yards. This was the time to regroup and consolidate but within a minute Hartstown got a corner, Wilson dropped the ball and the Hartstown man headed in the present from 4 yards. So 2-2 at the break.
Within 60 seconds of the restart, Hartstown's left winger evaded three half-hearted tackles and poked past a bemused and exposed Wilson to give them back the lead. College gradually rallied with the wind and numerous corners might have led to goals with Hartstown panicking. Rafter and Jordan went close and McCabe elected to cross after getting in brilliantly and from the kick out Hartstown went 4-2 up after Frehill misjudged a ball and struggled to turn in the heavy ground allowing the Hartstown player to score after 78 minutes.
College received a gift back after 83, a back pass was "fresh aired" by the Hartstown keeper and the ball rolled in for 4-3 but again as College scored they then conceded as possession was lost in their own half allowing the Hartstown man clear to again beat Wilson who time and again had a procession of red shirts bearing down on him.
Right on 90 mins, Rafter made it 4-5 to end the scoring and a crazy day's football. Luckily the League is still in Terenure's hands and Warren will be hoping his side can bounce back from a big-time wake up call.

TCAFC: Wilson; Costello, K.Brady (Geelon 64), Flood, Frehill, O'Frighil, D.Brady, Bishop (Jordan 64), Murray; Carney (McCabe 70), Rafter.

Terenure College 2:1 Esker Celtic

Terenure took a huge step towards the Division 2 title with a hard-earned but deserved win over closest challengers Esker Celtic at the College.
With Nure's momentum gathering after last week's drubbing of Meath Rangers, Warren was forced to two changes with John Geelon and Gary Smith unavailable so Denis O'Frighil was switched to the right of midfield, Dave Flood for Geelon and Ken Carney coming in up front.
Carney set the tone for his best performance by winning an early free and Rafter headed inches over from O'Frighil's delivery after 2 minutes. 2 minutes later, College got the perfect start they hoped for. Kieran Murray got in down the left, cut a low ball back across the area and O'Frighil was waiting to drill a low shot into the corner.
Within 60 seconds Esker had levelled. A couple of tackles were missed down the College right and a fine cross to the back post was headed past Wilson from close range so it was game on.
Esker had by far the better of the remainder of the half, Frehill making a brilliant block and College began to look a little edgy in their play, too often squandering possession easily and giving away numerous free kicks with Wilson having some nervy moments. But Wilson kept his side level with a brilliant save to his right from a 25 yarder that came through a crowded penalty area.
So Warren was pleased to get the lads in at half time still on terms. College began the second half with far more conviction, started passing the ball better and after 52 minutes regained their lead. O'Frighil's right-sided corner was headed on by Rafter and Murray charged in at the far post to force a diving header past the Esker keeper for a huge goal.
The goal really lifted College, the dangerous Esker number 7 was given far less room than the first half and at the back David Flood in his 50th appearance was outstanding with Kevin Brady towering beside him.
College made the better chances as the half wore on, Jordan might have done better from a brilliant Rafter cross but Rafter saw red after 74 minutes after a clash with the Esker keeper so Ken Carney foraged on bravely alone up front, holding the ball up and giving College a great outlet. Terenure held on comfortably enough for a crucial win, leaving them needing 7 points from their remaining 5 games to take the title.

TCAFC: Wilson; Costello, K.Brady, Flood, Frehill; O'Frighil (McCabe 76), Bishop, Jordan (D.Brady 71), Murray; Rafter, Carney.
Sub not used: Warren.

Meath Rangers 0:5 TCAFC

A very impressive performance from College on a potentially awkward fixture at Stanaway Park where Terenure had lost and drawn in the past two seasons.
Meath lined up a fairly different team to the 5-2 defeat at the College in September and good recent form ensured that Warren's team were sufficiently up for this crucial game and College were most unlucky not to be ahead in two minutes. A great ball to the far post by Darren Frehill found Gary Smith whose close range volley was brilliantly saved by the Meath keeper.
Meath had two big strong forwards who came into the game but found John Geelon and Kev Brady in tremendous form to keep the danger away from Wilson in goal. College continued their early assaults and Rafter and O'Frighil twice went close. As the half wore on, Meath began to anger Terenure with some off the ball stuff and some College players were threatening to boil over also in the face of provocation. After 39 minutes, College finally got in front; following Frehill's throw in, Jordan and Rafter did well with the latter squaring a great ball to Smith and from 10 yards, Smith drilled it high past the keeper for a deserved goal.
So Warren was delighted to get the players in at the break and stressed the need to keep their discipline and 11 on the pitch despite the opponents' behaviour. The referee however decided to call in both Managers before the second half and instructed them to tell their teams to cut out the messing and play ball.
Right from the kick off, O'Frighil did brilliantly to win a free on the left and Karl Bishop's wicked ball into the goalmouth was deflected in by a Meath player to give College the perfect start to the second half.
The ref's intervention and the second goal ensured the game calmed down and College cruised on comfortably with Geelon majestic and Kev Brady immense. After 72 minutes, College made the game safe when Wilson's long punt downfield bounced well for Rafter who lobbed over the keeper and into the net.
College completely ran riot for the last 15 minutes and in the 75th minutes a great move involving Costello, Rafter and Smith saw Smith play in Denis O'Frighil who had all the time in the world to pick his spot for the fourth. Smith completed the rout after 87 from O'Frighil's great pass to end the scoring in a very impressive display from the League leaders. Esker's morning defeat leaves Terenure 9 points clear of Esker, Esker having one game in hand.

TCAFC: Wilson; Costello, K.Brady, Geelon, Frehill; Smith, Bishop, Jordan (D.Brady 80), Murray; Rafter (Carney 76), O'Frighil.
Sub not used: Warren.

TCAFC 1:0 Black Forge

Terenure chalked up their third win in three against Black Forge this season in this first round Cullen Cup clash at the College and despite the 1-0 score, College's spurning of numerous chances made the outcome a little more tense than it should have been.
Dec Brady and Ken Carney were given the chance to start following recent frustrating spells on the bench and Carney showed early intent when following fine interplay with Costello and Rafter, Rafter's clever pass sent Carney in, but the keeper blocked well and the danger scrambled away. Rafter also was inches too high with a header from Flood's excellent corner as College looked for an early opener. But Forge defended quite well and a brilliant interevention from their centre half denied Rafter a certain goal after Carney had rounded the keeper and crossed very well.
After 44 minutes, the deadlock was broken. Dave Flood won possession well high up on the left and released Kieran Murray. Murray swung in the cross to the near post and Rafter's deft glancing header found the far corner for a very well worked goal. So a deserved lead at the break in a half that College had controlled well enough.
Forge continued to battle stoutly without really getting behind the College defence with John Geelon's long awaited competitive return proving crucial as he effortlessly dominated things at the back and Kev Brady alongside tidying up completely.
Rafter should have made it two on the hour, brilliant play by Murray set up the chance and at the second bite Rafter crashed his shot against the bar. Karl Bishop also tested the keeper with a fierce shot before Warren called Rafter and McCabe ashore, with O'Frighil and Smith coming in. Jordan replaced the excellent Carney on 79 minutes.
O'Frighil should have scored with a couple of headed chances and Murray also missed a far post header as College's superior fitness really began to tell, but while Forge continued to scrap bravely, they never troubled Alex Wilson in goal apart from a couple of frees and corners, but Wilson's handling was top class when needed.
So a safe enough passage for the home side to Round 2.

TCAFC: Wilson, Costello, K.Brady, Geelon, Flood; McCabe (Smith 65), Bishop, D.Brady, Murray; Rafter (O'Frighil 65), Carney (Jordan 79).

TCAFC 4:1 Brighton Celtic

Terenure maintained their 100% home record this season with a convincing win over tital rivals Brighton Celtic in very difficult conditions.
College had two enforced changes to the team that won 6-1 in their last outing with Kev Brady and Gary Smith in for the unavailable Mark Hanlon and Kieran Murray.
There was a controversial start as Brighton got an early corner and after some jostling in the Nure penalty area, the referee spotted the Brighton player lashing out at Nure skipper Karl Bishop and a straight red card was produced. Bishop almost rubbed salt into Brighton's wounds minutes after when the keeper's mishit clearance fell to him but his lob was just off target.
Brighton went closest to scoring in the opening frantic minutes, hitting a post and College keeper Wilson was fortunate to escape any card when he fouled a Brighton player in the box; a penalty was awarded but the Brighton player placed it wide of Wilson's right hand post.
College punished that miss minutes later, Bishop's long ball forward set Ciarán Rafter clear and he rounded the keeper to keep his head and calmly finish for the opener. College settled after the goal but did make life awkward for themselves with uncertain calling at the back but right on half time, the back to form Bishop released Stevie Jordan down the right. Jordan advanced and crossed and the keeper fumbled the cross right to Rafter's feet and he made it 2-0 from 3 yards to give College control.
Brighton came out of the blocks early second half and Wilson was forced into an early smart save but on 51 minutes a poor back header by a Brighton defender saw O'Frighil pounce and as the keeper advanced, O'Frighil dinked the ball over his head and ran on cooly to stab home for the cheekiest of finishes. 3-0 and game over. College wanted more and good play between Smith and Frehill down the left, saw Frehill skip past the full back and send over the perfect cross for Rafter to head home his second hat trick in successive games. So 4-0 to the home side and they went on to miss some very good chances against a dispirited 10 man Brighton side.
Brighton got a goal back after 74 minutes and again Wilson had to be awake to make a couple of decent saves, but College by then had adopted cruise mode as the Div 2 title increasingly looks like a two horse race between Terenure and Esker. These clashes are eagerly awaited.

TCAFC: Wilson; Costello, K.Brady, Flood, Frehill; McCabe, Bishop (D.Brady 70), Jordan, Smith (Curran 74); Rafter (Carney 75), O'Frighil.

Black Forge 1:6 TCAFC

College started the New Year in impressive fashion at nearby Brickfields with a resounding 6-1 win over Black Forge.
Forge have always given Terenure a tough and close game so Warren was keen for College to bounce back early following their last game before Christmas, the disappointing 0-2 defeat to Joey's and sure enough the lads were out of the traps early, Rafter netting after 10 minutes from Costello's clever pass, but the ref decided Rafter was just offside.
Minutes later though, they did take the lead. Frehill's long throw was headed on by Jordan and Niall McCabe was at the far post to head home bravely. It was two nil on 20 minutes, Frehill supporting well from left back and from O'Frighil's pass, Frehill's right footer from 20 yards slipped through the keeper's hands for a soft but important second.
Forge battled back without really troubling the Nure defence and as O'Frighil and Jordan both went close, the third goal right on half time killed the game as a contest, O'Frighil's lovely pass sent Rafter away clear and he calmly slotted the third.
Terenure cruised the early stages of the second half and midway through the half, Murray sent O'Frighil away in the left channel and O'Frighil's attempted cross deceived the keeper to drop inside the near post for 4-0. As Warren prepared to give his subs a run, Frehill gave away a penalty and Forge pulled one back and minutes later Wilson made a fine save to keep Nure 4-1 ahead.
But College finished strongly with two more goals, Costello's long clearance finding Rafter clear for his second and he completed his hat trick for Terenure's sixth with a far post header after good play between sub Kaz Drennan and Murray.
So back on track for Terenure.

TCAFC: Wilson; Costello, Hanlon (K.Brady), Flood, Frehill, McCabe, Bishop, Jordan (Curran), Murray; Rafter, O'Frighil (Drennan).

St. Joseph's Boys 2:0 TCAFC

Terenure's six match winning streak came to a halt today as they failed to match Joey's first half competitive and determined display and it was in the first half that the points were lost for Terenure.
College started very brightly though and O'Frighil's excellent corner went right across goalmouth with no one in to get on the end of it and Steve Jordan and Gary Smith in midfield starting well. But against the run of play on 18 minutes, Joey's were in front when a direct free just outside the box was lofted into the far corner with Wilson helpless on the line.
From there Terenure could not match Joey's in the tackle and allowed the home side to dictate after the opener. Five minutes later more missing tackles in the middle allowed the Joey's player to advance and shoot from 25 yards and Wilson misjudged the bounce to allow the ball into the net and 2-0 for the home side. Wilson made amends with two excellent saves as Joey's pressed to kill off the reeling Terenure side.
Terenure's best chance of the half was from a brilliant cross from Niall McCabe but Kieran Murray's diving header was not converted from a great position and College went in to the break 2-0 down.
An early second half goal was needed to bring Terenure back into the game and McCabe and O'Frighil both went close to getting that goal but play became scrappy as plenty of niggle crept into the game and College became increasingly frustrated at the sly antics of one or two Joey's players, but the ref chose to miss most of what was going on and Terenure became increasingly desperate.
But there was no further scoring and there wasn't alot of consolation in Terenure's performance but they have to be very pleased with seven wins and two defeats going in to the Christmas break, so hopefully the damage can be limited when action resumes in January.

TCAFC: Wilson, Costello (Warren 68), K.Brady, D.Brady, Flood, McCabe, Smith (Bishop 61), Jordan, Murray, Rafter (Carney 61), O'Frighil.

TCAFC 2:0 Black Forge

Annual rivals Black Forge came to the College following a good win away at Blackrock last week and the usual familiar faces lined up against a Terenure team with one change from last week, skipper Karl Bishop replacing the unlucky Gary Smith in midfield, who dropped to substitute.
With what must be the fastest goal in Terenure's history, the home side kicked off and Steve Jordan strode forward from halfway and his 25 yarder deceived the Forge keeper in the breeze and dropped in behind him for an 8 second opening goal. That opener shocked everyone but Forge were their usual aggressive selves with Colm Costello targetted by a couple of early elbows and a shocking knee-high foul on Dave Flood should have led to a yellow card for the Forge offender.
Nure didn't press home the early advantage as possession was surrendered sloppily, precious little chances made and needless frees conceded as Forge succeeded in dragging Warren's team down to their level and it was a most annoyed and frustrated gaffer who addressed his troops at half time after a fairly awful first half performance. Forge had only threatened once when Wilson lost a free in the sunshine and did well to scramble the ball away for a corner.
But Nure did up it early in the second half, Murray made a fine run down the left and Carney was inches wide with the finish. Carney might have done better after more good play from Murray as the home side started to pass the ball better with O'Frighil becoming more influential as the half wore on. A couple of more chances for College went abegging and Warren decided to freshen things up with Smith replacing Bishop on 61 mins and Rafter on for Carney on 65.
Within five minutes, goal machine Rafter had made his mark. O'Frighil's free wide on the right beyond the far post was pulled back brilliantly by Murray and Rafter buried the chance from 10 yards for a very well taken goal. From then on, it was one way traffic as Jordan and Dec Brady missed with free headers from O'Frighil corners and McCabe, O'Frighil and Murray all had shots blocked within seconds as Forge were out on their feet and Wilson a second half spectator.
So 7 wins out of 8 for Terenure and a second clean sheet in a row as Terenure bid to top the League going into Christmas.

TCAFC: Wilson; Costello, Dec Brady, Flood, Frehill, McCabe, Bishop (Smith 61), Jordan, Murray; Carney (Rafter 65), O'Frighil.
Subs not used: Kev Brady, Warren.

TCAFC 1:0 St Josephs

College continued their impressive start to the season with a hard fought victory over a spirited and dogged Joey's side with the three points only assured when Dermot Kelly's final whistle sounded after 4 minutes of additional time.
Terenure began very well and could have scored twice in the opening 15 minutes. McCabe's through ball was seized upon by Kieran Murray down the centre, but Murray, possibly worried by the outrushing keeper, dragged his shot wide of the target. Soon after, Denis O'Frighil's excellent corner delivery was met by Dec Brady's free header, but it was too high and Joey's escaped a second time. O'Frighil also went very close after Costello had made great ground down the lake end side and the latter's cross seemed ready to be converted by O'Frighil but the defender did very well to block, but soon after O'Frighil missed the best chance of the game with a far post header from a brilliant McCabe cross, but Denis could only head over having got slightly ahead of the ball.
The half time talk from Warren was to stay patient and pass the ball better and to feet, as defensively College were pretty solid with Wilson again dominating his territory, Dec Brady looking more comfortable in his new centre half role and an impressive showing from Darren Frehill before he succumbed to an ankle problem midway through the second half. Terenure finally broke the deadlock on 62 minutes. Ken Carney was fouled thirty yards out and he showed great awareness to take a quick free and send Murray away to his left. Murray advanced, cut inside a defender and placed a lovely right footed shot into the far corner for his second of the season.
Joey's continued to dig in but despite plenty of free kicks in the last 15 minutes, never really got in around the College defence and with Steve Jordan outstanding in midfield, Dave Flood's back four were comfortable enough in coping.
So another three points for College, from a game they would probably have drawn or lost last season, so manager Phelim Warren can feel pretty pleased at the outcome.

TCAFC; Wilson; Costello, Dec Brady, Flood (Warren 88), Frehill (Rafter 64); McCabe, Jordan, Smith (K Bishop 79), Murray; Carney, O'Frighil.
Subs; Warren, Rafter, K Bishop

TCAFC 7:1 Walkinstown

A welcome return to playing ways never mind winning ways for College who ground down an eventually spiritless Walkinstown outfit following 5 weeks of non-competitive action.
Manager Warren was forced to re-jig the team as a result of the unavailability of Flood, Frehill, Smith and late withdrawal Hanlon and the long-term absence of John Geelon so the Brady brothers made up the central defence with O'Frighil reverting to left back where he starred in his debut season of 2000-01.
College opened the scoring on 12 minutes as they countered following a crucial save by Wilson; O'Frighil found Carney who played in Rafter with a great ball and Rafter slotted past the vociferous and sizeable keeper for his 2nd of the season.
Walkinstown rallied somewhat as College's defensive re-jig encountered some teething problems and sloppiness across midfield allowed Town in for a leveller on 20 mins. But skipper Karl Bishop fired up the lads and he combined well with McCabe who beat the keeper with a lovely low drive from 25 yards after 29 mins. College kept up the pressure and Warren's pre-match call for his wingers to score was rewarded when Murray followed in a rebound from Rafter's free kick to give College a 3-1 half time lead.
The second half saw College's defensive uncertainty disappear with both Bradys dominating and Costello and O'Frighil using possession intelligently. O'Frighil finally broke Walkinstown after 64 mins when picking up a half clearance on the left, he sent in a scorching 25 yarder into the far corner. Number 5 arrived on 73 minutes, Bishop's quick free sent McCabe away and his excellent cross was finished by the hard-working Carney for his first of the season.
Drennan and Dolan came in for Rafter and Carney as College kept the pressure on with Warren getting his first action as well for Bishop. Jordan made it 6-1 with a 20 yard free that went in off a post and sub Dolan completed the rout on 89 mins volleying in at the far post from another Steve Jordan free.
So a solid all round return to action for College, allowing for the ordinary resistance of Walkinstown but Warren will have a nice selection problem for the next game with only Niall McCabe and Geelon unavailable.

TCAFC; Wilson; Costello, K.Brady, D.Brady, O'Frighil; McCabe, Bishop (Warren), Jordan, Murray; Rafter (Drennan), Carney (Dolan).

TCAFC 0:0* Hartstown

* Match abandoned after two minutes due to dislocated shoulder and disorientated ref.

Verona 2:3 TCAFC

On a day when he received a commemorative award for his goal scoring exploits, Ciaran Rafter once again was the hero for Terenure as he came off the bench to smash home the winner in this ill-tempered affair. A young Verona side came out with all guns blazing, and some slack defending by Terenure was gifting the home side with chances all over the place. It took 10 minutes for Verona to open the scoring with an acrobatic scissors kick from 12 yards. The lead was doubled soon after, when Flood’s attempted clearance landed at the feet of the Verona winger. His through ball sent his striker away, and he made no mistake from close range. It was around this time that the referee made his presence felt with a number of peculiar decisions, mostly in the favour of Terenure. The Verona lads lost their concentration and started giving away needless free kicks in and around their 18 yard line. It was from one of those set pieces that Terenure pulled a goal back. Man of the match Karl Bishop’s rocket of an effort was miraculously saved, but O’Frighil was on hand to drill the ball home from a tight angle. The striker once more went close soon after with a viciously curled free kick. The Verona keeper excelled yet again to get a hand to the ball on the line.
The second half was all Terenure. Phelim Warren decided to go all out for the win, replacing wingers McCabe and Murray with strikers Kearney and Rafter. The two immediately had an influence on the game. After Kearney had won a corner off the Verona centre half, O’Frighil’s corner found Hanlon at the edge of the area. His pass to Gary Smith saw the striker volley a spectacular goal from 20 yards for his first goal of the season. There was just enough time for Ciaran Rafter to snatch a winner with only minutes remaining. O’Frighil drilled a low corner towards the onrushing Jordan at the front post. The midfielder dummied the ball and Rafter stepped in to settle matters from 10 yards.
A good result against a very tough side despite a below par performance, Terenure will be delighted with the three points from this game, even if the match was somewhat soured by an eccentric refereeing performance.

TCAFC; Wilson, Costello, Hanlon, K. Brady, Flood, Jordan, McCabe (Kearney 55), Bishop, O'Frighil, Smith, Murray (Rafter 70).
Subs; Warren, Kearney, Rafter.

TCAFC 1:0 Blackrock College

Previous encounters between these two sides have often been close but seldom entertaining, and this was no exception. Blackrock seemed content to sit deep in the opening few minutes, allowing their forwards to do most of the running without ever creating much. Gary Smith and Denis O’Frighil were keeping the away side’s back four busy, dragging them out of shape as much as they could but neither side looked likely to break the deadlock. That was until the Blackrock keeper had a rush of blood to the head after 20 minutes and left his area to chase a seemingly harmless looking through ball. O’Frighil managed to nick in first to chip the ball into an unguarded net from a tight angle as the keeper scrambled back to his line.
Blackrock continued working tirelessly but never really threatened to unlock the Terenure defence. The closest they came in the first half was a close range effort from their number 9 that Wilson smothered at his near post. At the other end, O’Frighil came close to capitalising on more slack goalkeeping, his shot from the narrowest of angles finding the side netting.
The second half was equally as dull, with chances at a premium. The visitors almost equalised on the hour mark, as their left back smashed a long range effort off the base of the Terenure post. As the game continued, the superior fitness of the home side was starting to show as Blackrock visibly tired. Man of the match Declan Brady was totally dominating the midfield, and Murray and McCabe were tormenting their opposing defenders. O’Frighil had a golden chance to seal the win when Murray’s strong run and quick cut back found the striker in space in the area. However, his first time volley scraped over the bar. Three well earned points against tough opposition, and Terenure will be glad they don’t have to face Blackrock again till next season.

TCAFC; Wilson, Costello, Hanlon, Brady D., Flood, Geelon, McCabe, Bishop (Jordan 75), O’Frighil (Kearney 65), Smith, Murray.
Subs; Kearney, Jordan, Warren.

TCAFC 5:2 Meath

Terenure bounced back from last weeks disappointing defeat with a determined performance against Meath, despite being reduced to ten men for most of the game. After 8 minutes, Alex Wilson was adjudged to have fouled the Meath centre forward on the edge of the area and the referee felt he had no option but to dismiss the goalkeeper. Ken Kearney’s first duty as stand in keeper was to take the ball out of the net as the free kick was drilled passed him to compound the problems for the home side. Shortly after, the sides were level, as the Meath Rangers goalkeeper gifted the ball to striker Denis O’Frighil, who calmly rolled the ball home from close range.
Meath regained the lead on the half hour, when a strong run from their left back caused confusion in the back four. The ball found it’s way to the edge of the area, where the Meath midfielder’s shot took a deflection off Hanlon, which took it away from Kearney and into the net. Terenure equalised on the stroke of half time when the Meath keeper brought O’Frighil down in the area. The referee awarded the penalty, but strangely decided not to take any further action against the keeper, despite his earlier application of the red card for a similar offence. Skipper Karl Bishop stepped up to bury the spot kick and send the teams in level at half time.
The second half was all Terenure, with Meath struggling to get out of their own half. Declan Brady capped a fine performance with two goals, the first a tap in following a surging run through the 18 yard box, the second a brave header in the final minute from Bishop’s corner. Man of the match Denis O’Frighil’s second goal was another gift from the Meath keeper after he fumbled Dave Flood’s cross, and it was no more than the striker’s superhuman effort deserved. Overall, a good result considering the circumstances, and Terenure are back on track for next week’s rematch with Blackrock.

TCAFC; Wilson, Costello, Hanlon, Brady D., Flood, Geelon, McCabe, Bishop, O’Frighil (Jordan 75), Smith (Kearney 8), Murray.
Subs; Kearney, Jordan, Warren.

Blackrock 2:1 TCAFC

Terenure went into this game on the back of an excellent away win at Walkinstown, and were looking to continue their good run of form against a physical Blackrock side. On a pitch desperately short of grass, neither team settled early in the game. The match descended into a dull midfield battle, with the ball spending most of the time in the air. Neither side made any significant breakthroughs, and despite Terenure's efforts to keep the ball on the deck and play football, the breaks just weren't coming. Despite defending resolutely for the first 40 minutes, Terenure conceded the lead through a howler from centre half Hanlon. A high ball into the area appeared to be going nowhere until an attempted back header squirmed under keeper Wilson's body and into the net. 1-0 for the home side at the break.
The second half saw Terenure pile pressure on the Blackrock defence. The attempted short passing moves were abandoned for the long ball in an attempt to play Blackrock at their own game, and it paid dividends on the hour mark. After confusion in the Blackrock area, the ball dropped kindly for O'Frighil, who fired home from a tight angle to equalise. Terenure continued to create chances, with Rafter coming closest, striking the crossbar from O'Frighil's corner.
However, the home side did not give up their battle, and their relentless chasing paid off late in the game when they managed to snatch the winner against the run of play. Wilson's pass was slightly too long for McCabe who struggled to control, and the Blackrock winger stole in to lift the ball past the onrushing keeper to clinch it.
A disappointing result to a game Terenure should have at least got a point from. All efforts should go towards ensuring a win against Meath Rangers in the first home game of the season on Sunday.

TCAFC; Wilson, McCabe, Hanlon, Geelon, Flood, O'Frighil, Jordan, Bishop, Rafter, Kearney, Murray.
Subs; K.Brady, Frehill.

Walkinstown 0:2 TCAFC

The first game of the season saw Terenure make the short journey for this traditionally tough encounter with Div.2 mainstays Walkinstown. Over the previous two seasons, this game has gone the way of the home side, with College on the receiving end of 5-2 and 3-1 defeats, and a spate of cancelled friendlies and league fixtures left the lads sorely short of match practice. The absence of record goal-scorer Ciarán Rafter was also to have a big influence on the game, as Terenure adjusted to life without the big man. Gary Smith and Denis O'Frighil started up front, with the usual suspects of Kieran Murray, Declan Brady, Niall McCabe and skipper Karl Bishop in midfield. Kevin Brady started at centre half alongside Mark Hanlon, with fullbacks Dave Flood and Colm Costello on either side.
From the first whistle, it was apparent that this game was going to be a close call, with both sides battling hard in midfield and defending deep. Chances were at a premium, the best of which falling to the Walkinstown No.9, after a mistake by Hanlon allowed him the run of the pitch. Alex Wilson in the College goal reacted superbly to smother the effort. At the other end, a neat move involving McCabe, Smith, Bishop and Costello released O'Frighil but the striker's effort dragged marginally past the post. Despite some pressure from corners, Walkinstown didn't appear to be particularly threatening, and Terenure were playing the majority of the football without forcing the opening it deserved.
The second half saw more of the same high tempo football. Walkinstown replaced their front line after an hour and appeared to gain the upper hand, going close on a number of occasions with long range efforts. Terenure also had their fair share of opportunities, McCabe and Flood both going close with angled drives, Murray and O'Frighil narrowly driving over from close range. The deadlock was broken on 65 minutes when an attempted header back to the Walkinstowm keeper fell short, and Murray raced on, only to be brought down in the area. The referee instantly blew for the penalty, and karl Bishop made no mistake from the spot. Terenure battled hard to preserve the lead, and came close to extending it despite much pressure from the home side. Man of the match Costello came inches away from capping his performance with a wonder goal, his 35 yard effort striking the crossbar with the keeper well beaten. The winner came from substitute Stevie Jordan, who buried a header from O'Frighil's corner deep into injury time.
Overall, a measured, patient performance saw Terenure claim all three points to give them the best possible start to the new season. Another away game awaits next week against Blackrock, and hopefully the good form will continue.

TCAFC; Wilson, Costello, Hanlon (Geelon 50), Brady, D., Flood, Brady, K., McCabe, Bishop (D,Brady 70), O'Frighil, Smith (Jordan, 85), Murray.
Subs; Warren, Jordan, Geelon